San Joaquin County
First Families Certificate Program
The San Joaquin Genealogical Society and The San Joaquin County Historical Society have partnered to offer the First Families of San Joaquin County Certificate Program.
We hope to identify pioneers and early residents and to honor their lasting contributions to the history of San Joaquin County by recognizing their descendants who submit genealogical information.
All applications and documentation submitted will be housed in the San Joaquin County Historical Museum Research Library to preserve your family's history and will be made available for public research.
For each qualifying ancestor, an 8 1/2” x 11” certificate, suitable for framing, numbered and signed, will be issued. The name of the ancestor, date settled in San Joaquin County and the name of the applicant who descends from the ancestor will be inscribed.
We hope that you will join in our effort to enrich the historical records and preserve the history of San Joaquin County.
There are three categories of First Families:
- Founding Families – Settled in San Joaquin County before 1860
- Pioneer Families – Settled in San Joaquin County between 1860 and 1880
- Century Families – Settled in San Joaquin County at least 100 years prior to application date
Anyone may apply. Applicants do not need to be residents of San Joaquin County.
Applications may be submitted at any time and will be processed throughout the year. A separate application is required for each certificate requested.
APPLICATION FEE: $10 for members of the San Joaquin Genealogical Society or San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum; $15 for non members. If you wish to become a member of either society, membership application forms can be found on each society's website.
San Joaquin Genealogical Society - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sjgs/
San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum - http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org
The application fee is non-refundable. Incorrect or incomplete applications cannot be processed. You will be notified if you need to provide corrections or additions. To speed things up, please provide your E-mail address, if you have one. Applications not approved will remain “Pending.” You may reactivate your application without further application fees if in the future you provide the additional documents needed for approval.
All applications and documentation become property of the San Joaquin Genealogical Society and the San Joaquin County Historical Society and will be retained in the custody of the San Joaquin County Historical Museum Research Library. In the future, either society may wish to include and/or reproduce the submitted lineage information in any of its publications, digitization projects, website database projects, or unknown future technologies. NOTE: Vital information (dates and places of birth and marriage) of living persons will not be made available.
1. Certified copies are not required, “Informational Copies” are acceptable.
2. Do not send original documentation, please send photocopies.
3. Always use maiden name of the female.
4. Circumstantial evidence WILL NOT be accepted as proof unless supported by primary or secondary evidence and/or a written proof argument. Oral, written, or published family traditions may be in error and CANNOT be accepted as documentation. Printed or manuscript genealogies, genealogical records or compilations, family group sheets and charts, family reunion records and similar material are not considered proof on its own. All of the above must be submitted with additional documentation to support the claim.
5. County history or biographies and published transcriptions of records must include copies of page(s) establishing the fact claimed and a copy of the title page including publisher and date.
6. Please feel free to submit photos and biographical narratives of your ancestors in addition to the required lineage documentation.
To download the application please click HERE.